+91 9884 846 542 vanakkam@tholga.com

Forum

Material on basic g...

Notifications
Clear all

Material on basic grammar, any recommendations?

6 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
Registered
Topic starter
(@kinjal-patel)

Dear All, 

Could you please recommend a book on basic grammar? I don't understand the difference between a clause, a sentence and a phrase. Terms like relative clause, prepositional phrase, relative pronoun, etc. look intimidating to me. Though I might make correct choices intuitively, knowing such basic aspects might help in future.

Thank you.

Good luck and take care.

5 Replies
Registered
(@raghavi)

Hi Kinjal,

I have no idea which book to be used. But I would suggest you this link https://7esl.com/ and also a YouTube channel Arnel's Everyday English. I found these more useful.

1 Reply
Registered
(@kinjal-patel)

Thank you so much, dear Raghavi! Will go over the suggested webpage and YouTube channel.

(@saravanakumar)

Hi,

the below site has adequate explanations for grammar terminologies with relevant examples. The site's index part will be especially beneficial for those who are interested in learning nuances of the language.

The site is both for learners of basic grammar and for advanced-level learners, and as of now, I suggest we refrain from concepts that are not touched upon yet, which may lead us to confusion.

http://guidetogrammar.org/grammar/

1 Reply
Registered
(@kinjal-patel)

@saravanakumar Thank you so much!

Admin
(@admin)

Hi, Kinjal,

You have raised a very important question. As professional editors, we need to build our editing career on strong fundamentals. I am glad to see that you have gotten some suggestions. My favourite book is Oxford Grammar Finder and books by Raymond Murphy (there are 3 or 4 volumes). The Oxford book takes an adult-centered approach, whereas Murphy's books are practice-oriented.

You may search for these books on Amazon or Flipkart and see a few sample pages before you decide what suits you the best.

Happy learning.

[PS: I took the liberty to modify the title for clarity. Hope this is fine.]

Share: